Senior Academic Specialist
BA - Goshen College (1980)Food Safety & Toxicology
1129 Farm Lane Room B18
East Lansing, MI 48824
Recent top impacts include annually editing about 900 articles written by MSU Extension specialists and educators for MSUE website. These articles are pushed out through 10 email listservs containing over 20,000 contacts. Through the Smart Gardening program, a marketing initiative I developed with the MSUE Consumer Horticulture program, we increased sales of MSU soil test kits by 203 percent (3,433 sold in 2013). We also increased calls to their garden hotline by 20 percent and website visits by 25 percent. Since 1996, I’ve launched 32 websites with 24 currently active. During 2013, those 24 websites received over 299,000 visits. In 2014, I was print production manager for 2 international books (biosafety in Africa, ag intellectual property in India). I am working with the Entomology Department chairperson and others in marketing and communications for the Department including web, print, social and conventional media.
Current assignment: Extension 100%
I organize and produce educational and promotional resources for the Integrated Pest Management Program and our partners. Specifically, I develop resources and information that help people make environmentally and economically sound pest management choices based on science. Toward this goal, I collaborate with MSU’s scientists and extension educators to deliver their expertise to end-users such as farmers, gardeners and landscape managers. Listening to these teammates, I determine the most appropriate delivery methods to present science-based information in an appealing, user-friendly manner. I review new delivery forms and technology for potential application when appropriate for our users.
- Integrated Pest Management
- 2001-Present - Assistant IPM Coordinator/Communications, Dept. of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 1989-2001 - Communications Associate, Center for Integrated Plant Systems, Michigan State University
- 1988-1989 - Special Projects Coordinator, Association for Child Development, Lansing, MI
- 1982-1988 - Assistant Executive Director, Professional Engineers of North Carolina, Raleigh, NC
- 1980-1981 - Assistant Director Special Programs, Goshen College, Goshen, IN
- Gibbs, J., A. Bennett, R. Isaacs, and J. Landis. 2015. Bees of the Great Lakes region and wildflowers to support them. MSU Extension E3263. East Lansing, MI: August 2015. In press.
- Freedman, E. and M. Neuzil (eds) (2015). Ecologically based Integrated Pest Management programs for food security crops in Central Asia. In Environmental Crises in Central Asia (pp. 152-170). Routledge. London. In press.
- Landis, Joy. “Smart Reasons to Choose Native Plants.” Online video production. Michigan State University ANR Communications. YouTube, 6 Feb. 2015.
- Landis, Joy. “Matching Native Plants to Your Yard’s Needs.” Online video production. Michigan State University ANR Communications. YouTube, 6 Feb. 2015.
- Landis, Joy N. 2013. Going native can be a smart choice for Michigan landscapes. MSU Extension News. East Lansing, MI: January 31, 2013.