Come visit MSU’s Bug House, where you can see, touch or even hold some real creepy crawlers!
- Did you know there are more kinds of beetles in Michigan than there are varieties of birds on Earth?
- Did you know that a cricket’s ears are on its knees and flies have taste buds on their feet?
- How about that an ant can lift 50 times its own weight, the equivalent of a human lifting two small cars?
A visit to the Bug House will explain all these fascinating facts and more. In addition to viewing the amazing pinned displays, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with a whole room of insects, including walking sticks and tarantulas! .
Tours are offered with an appointment Monday through Friday and are designed for all ages in groups of 30 or fewer. There is a $50 fee for a one-hour tour of 30 or fewer participants. The MSU Bug House is located in rooms 146-147 of the .
Department of Entomology Bug House
Natural Science Building
288 Farm Lane Room 147
East Lansing, MI 48824
The Bug House saw nearly 100 visitors at the Spring Open House that took place Sunday, March 10. Bug House T-shirt adult sizes and larger child sizes are still available for sale if anyone is interested. Thank you to the members of our department for your continued support and a special thank you to the guides who volunteered their time on Sunday: Alex Bryant, Rob Morrison, Brendan Carson, Courtney Weatherbee and Gary Parsons.
The MSU Bug House was featured in a WKAR film about educational things to do in the Lansing area, with interviews from graduate students Bernice DeMarco and Alex Bryant. Their conversation about the Bug House will be aired on TV on WKAR-HD 23.1 on April 15 at 5:00 PM. You can view the segment now.
Watch the 9&10 News exclusive on the MSU Bug House! In case you missed it on TV, the news exclusive on the is available online. It includes an interview with graduate student Rachel Olson about the Bug House, as well as studying Entomology at MSU. Watch the video.
- Summer Open Houses: Sunday, June 23 from 1 to 4 p.m.; Sunday, July 14 from 1 to 4 p.m.; and Sunday, August 11 from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Halloween Open House: Sunday, October 27 from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Holiday Open House: Saturday, December 28 from 1 to 4 p.m.